This is to inform the public in all the communities of Nunavik that the Call for Nominations is now open for the 2023 universal elections for the following Executive Director positions of Makivvik:
- VICE PRESIDENT; ENVIRONMENT, WILDLIFE AND RESEARCH
You may request a nomination form from the Makivvik Offices, the Local Municipality or the Local Landholding Corporation or you may contact Phebe Bentley, the Chief Returning Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
The nomination forms are to be forwarded to the Returning officer, by fax at 514-745-0364 or by email at email@example.com
THE DEADLINE TO SEND THE NOMINATION FORM IS JANUARY 9, 2023 BEFORE 5:00 P.M.
The Election for all communities is Thursday, February 2nd, 2023
from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Advanced Polls will be on Thursday, January 26, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Voting will be a hybrid model with the option of online and in-person voting.
The following persons shall not be nominated or elected as Executive Director of the Corporation:
- any person who is NOT entitled to exercise their rights or receive benefits under the Act Respecting Cree, Inuit and Naskapi Native Persons (RLRQ, Chap. A-33.1);
- any person who is an undischarged bankrupt;
- any person who is NOT a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Inuit Agreement;
- any person have been convicted of an indictable offense punishable by imprisonment for two (2) years or more; such disqualifications shall continue for five (5) years after the term of imprisonment fixed by the sentence and, if only fined is imposed or the sentence suspended, for five (5) years from the date of the conviction, unless the person has obtained a pardon for such indictable offense;
- any person who has any outstanding debts of any nature or kind with the corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries which have remained unpaid for more than ninety (90) days; or any person who has failed in the past to honour a debt which remains unpaid to the Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries;
- any person who is not fluent in Inuktitut
- Any person, other than an executive director of the Corporation, who is an employee of the Corporation or one of its subsidiaries;
- Any person whose actions, activities or relationships could have, directly or indirectly, the effect of disqualifying the Corporation and/or its affiliates from eligibility for contracts with any public body.
Important notice concerning the use of resources, assets or benefits of the Corporation or a subsidiary:
As of the date of presentation of his/her intention to run until the announcement of the results of the elections, a nominee shall not be entitled to use any of the resources, assets or benefits whether human, material or financial (including but not limited to free or specially discounted airline flights, vehicles, services of an employee, etc.) of the Corporation or one of its subsidiaries, regardless of whether he is normally entitled to them or not unless such resources, assets or benefits are ordinarily available to the public in general. This shall include any and all benefits previously available to such individual in relation to his position within the Corporation or one of its subsidiaries, as the case may be. A candidate who is found to have contravened this subsection may be disqualified by the returning officer.
Issued at Montreal, Quebec, this 7th day of December 2022.