Makivik Job Opportunity
Payroll Officer (TRE03082022)
Reporting to the Payroll Manager the Payroll Officer will be responsible for the accurate and timely processing of payroll, performing various clerical and accounting tasks such as data management and keeping employee information that is relevant to payroll purposes up to date. The Payroll Officer is a member of the Human Resources team in the Treasurer’s Department and provides support to other roles within the department as required. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
- Process bi-weekly payroll for all salaried and hourly employees;
- Compile payroll data such as garnishments, vacation time, insurance and other deductions;
- Extract timesheets and review work hours for completeness and accuracy;
- Ensure that hours are categorized and allocated to correct cost centers;
- Process data to the Payroll Provider, CERIDIAN / DAYFORCE;
- Create required internal management reports from the payroll system;
- Adhere to all procedures and policies;
- Create payroll profiles for all new employees as advised by HR;
- Maintain employee profiles, ensuring that they are up to date;
- Ensure all wage changes are made accurately and in time for effected pay periods;
- Follow payroll procedures for terminated employees;
- Administer benefit payments;
- Stay current with payroll regulations, standards and work methods;
- Reconcile payroll totals and ensure all deductions to pension plans and health benefit plans are made as scheduled;
- Ensure accurate processing of sick pay, benefits and vacation payouts;
- Respond to employee and government agency inquiries in regards to payroll;
- Ensure the creation and timely distribution of T4s;
- Adhere to all policies and follow established procedures;
- Participate in required meetings providing input and recommendations;
- Perform any other duties assigned.
- College degree in relevant field required;
- DAYFORCE payroll experience an asset;
- Canadian payroll association certification preferred or in the process of completion;
- Minimum 2 years relevant working experience required;
- Work experience in accounting preferred;
- Knowledge of payroll and payroll tax laws required;
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel and Outlook required;
- Clear written and verbal communications (English, Inuktitut, French an asset);
- Organize and write procedures in a logical/methodical manner;
- Good time management skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Good data entry skills;
- Works well in a team environment;
- Able to maintain confidential information;
- Knowledge of clerical accounting and bookkeeping procedures;
- Knowledge of payroll processing procedures;
- Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices;
- Strong mathematical skills;
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization;
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times;
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
All marginal benefits available to employees of the Corporation as outlined in the Makivvik Corporation Human Resources Policy Manual.
It is the Corporation’s objective to favor and promote the employment of Inuit beneficiaries of the JBNQA.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Are you interested in this position?
You can apply by filling in the form below.
You can apply by visiting our website at www.makivik.org/jobs