Makivik Job Opportunity
Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator (Construction Sites) (PRES021924)
Makivvik, the trusted political organization with a rich history of representing the Inuit of Nunavik since 1978. Through Makivvik and our subsidiaries, Makivvik has created opportunities for Nunavik Beneficiaries and those who live in Nunavik, and today more than 500 Nunavimmiut are employed within the Makivvik network in our offices and subsidiaries.
- Work within Makivvik’s Construction Division – a non-profit organization which is responsible for implementing the Inuit Housing Construction Program in Nunavik. Its main objective is to build quality housing while maximizing employment opportunities for Nunavik Inuit, providing training and promoting Nunavik’s local economy as much as possible;
- Develop and implement an occupational health and safety program, promote it, ensure its application in worksites, and enforce safe work methods;
- Serve as the primary contact for occupational health and safety issues and provide the necessary support to project stakeholders;
- Demonstrate leadership in health and safety matters by fostering commitment and collaboration among teams and promoting awareness of best practices;
- Review and monitor the various stages of work, equipment and worksites to ensure compliance with occupational health and safety program, laws and regulations;
- Actively participate in risk analysis, workplace inspections, committees and accident investigations – providing advise to the management team;
- Guide and support weekly safety meetings, ensuring documentation and follow-up of non-compliances or other issues;
- Participate in visits by CNESST and other organizations to the worksites;
- Analyze insurance claims – including salary, prepare requests for medical expertise and follow up on administrative files with the CNESST;
- Be available to travel frequently (average of 16 weeks/year of travel);
- Perform other related duties within the scope of the position or as requested by supervisor.
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Coordinator for Construction Sites Certification as required by the CNESST is mandatory;
- College diploma in a related field;
- Five (5) years of experience in the Health and Safety, construction or equivalent fields;
- Good communication skills in at least two (2) of the three (3) languages: Inuktitut, English and/or French;
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Experience in accident investigation and workplace inspection;
- In-depth knowledge of the various applicable OHS laws and regulations.
- Dynamic, autonomous, rigorous, proactive, and strong ability to work in a team.
Inuit Beneficiary hiring will always be a priority at Makivvik.
Training will be available for Beneficiaries for the advancement of their career.
All marginal benefits available to employees of the Corporation as outlined in the Makivvik Human Resources Policy Manual
It is the Corporation’s objective to favor and promote the employment of Inuit beneficiaries of the JBNQA.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Are you interested in this position?
You can apply by filling in the form below.
You can apply by visiting our website at www.makivik.org/jobs