Makivik Job Opportunity
Assistant Director – Justice Department (JUS04272022)
ABOUT US: The Makivvik Justice Department helps administer justice using culturally adapted approaches which focus primarily on healing individuals, families, and the community, while also dealing with the underlying causes of crime. Para-judicial workers, local justice committees, correctional liaison agents and Gladue writers offer direct services to Nunavimmiut at various stages of the justice and correctional process.
The Justice Department consists of five (5) separate programs all relating to alternative justice initiatives in Nunavik, which includes Justice Committees, Para-Judicial Workers, Corrections Program, Gladue Reports, and Record Suspension Program.
We are currently seeking an ASSISTANT DIRECTOR who will support the Director in overseeing all programs under the Justice Department.
For more information please contact
Navarana Kleist at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assist in developing and implementing plans and goals for the entire Justice Department;
- Works closely with the director to coordinate and supervise daily operations in all 14 communities located across Nunavik as well as in the Urban areas;
- Supervises, guides, and supports Program Coordinators in their duties;
- Ensure compliance with regulations and internal policies in accordance with HR;
- Assist in identifying clear departmental objectives and monitor their follow through;
- Assist the Director in building and enhancing the department’s role within the Justice system and public profile;
- Undertake staffing responsibilities (hiring, training, evaluating etc.);
- Assist in budgeting and monitoring expenses;
- Maintain scheduling of events and represent the department when required;
- Create reports and submit them to the Director or other Executives;
- Fulfill duties as assigned by the Director;
- Participate in meetings and maintain positive relations with Government and regional organization partners;
- Complete written funding requests pertaining to particular projects or programs as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent;
- Extensive experience in a managing role or in a similar setting;
- Extensive knowledge of the Justice system in Nunavik and Corrections pertaining to Inuit;
- Understanding of the Inuit culture and traditions is an asset;
- Extensive experience with budgeting;
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans;
- Strong leadership, motivation, and communication skills;
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills with an eye for detail;
- High level of integrity, autonomy, and accountability;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills;
- Available to travel for trainings and meetings;
- Languages: English. Inuktitut and French is an asset;
- Excellent English writing skills;
- Intermediate level competence with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point).
All marginal benefits available to employees of the Corporation as outlined in the Makivvik Corporation Human Resources Policy Manual
It is the Corporation’s objective to favor and promote the employment of Inuit beneficiaries of the JBNQA.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Are you interested in this position?
You can apply by filling in the form below.
You can apply by visiting our website at www.makivik.org/jobs