Makivik Job Opportunity
Makivvik Justice – NUNAVIK JUSTICE LIAISON AGENT – NJD11192021
ABOUT US: The Makivvik Justice Department helps administer justice using culturally adapted approaches which put the emphasis on healing individuals, families and the community while also dealing with the underlying causes of crimes. Makivvik aims at empowering Inuit that have been affected by a crime or conflict (victims, families, offenders) in offering help and solutions within detention centers and in their home community which build their resilience, increase their sense of dignity and consider the safety of the community.
Under the Makivvik Justice Department, 12 local justice committees have been implemented and are running, which all offer direct services to the population at various stages of the justice and correctional system. In addition, a Nunavik Justice officer and three program coordinators, based in Montreal, oversee the functioning and services delivered under this program. Makivvik aims to encourage Inuit to be involved in the justice system and work toward self determination.
We are seeking a Justice Liaison Agent who will report to the Corrections Coordinator.
We strongly encourage Inuit beneficiaries to apply as extensive training and continuous support will be provided to employees that don’t have previous work experience in the justice system. Experience with Inuit and cultural knowledge in general will be valued.
- Inform Nunavimmiut detained in provincial jails of the programs, support and services offered within the center. Provide information on the early release opportunities such as Parole and the steps to be taken;
- Offer assistance to Nunavimmiut in provincial detention centers for the preparation of their reintegration to community upon release;
- Support Nunavimmiut in provincial detention for their parole hearing;
- Offer one-on-one non-formal counselling and support when required;
- Organize and co-facilitate workshops in collaboration with the Makivvik Program Facilitator for Nunavimmiut who are detained;
- Plan cultural activities for Nunavimmiut in a detention center;
- Assist in the organization of visits for justice committees or other helpful resources at the detention centers for Nunavimmiut.
- Strong desire to support and assist your fellow Inuit in access to culturally appropriate programs and support ;
- Ability to listen and communicate ;
- Experience in program delivery or teaching
- Extensive knowledge in Inuit traditional activities
- Languages: Inuktitut and English
- Minimal knowledge of the social, judicial or correctional field
- Experience in intervention with adults
- English writing skills
- Computer skills; word, internet, excel, etc.;
- Strong capacities to work in a team setting;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Be reliable and autonomous;
- Be respectful (confidentiality and non-judgmental);
- Be available to travel by vehicle (having a license is an asset) or public transportation, to detention centers within Quebec and in Nunavik in general.
All marginal benefits available to employees of the Corporation as outlined in the Makivvik Corporation Human Resources Policy Manual
It is the Corporation’s objective to favor and promote the employment of Inuit beneficiaries of the JBNQA.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Are you interested in this position?
You can apply by filling in the form below.
You can apply by visiting our website at www.makivik.org/jobs